Sometimes it is necessary to increase the size of your logical volume but you cannot/want reboot and/or create a new partition.
- Increase the hard disk space by allocating it on the host system to the your virtual machine
- echo 1>/sys/class/block/sdaX/device/rescan so that you VM knows the new hard disk capacity
- use parted (or your personal preference) to increase the partition size
- Tip: run unit kb in parted for a more precise aligning of the partitions
- Tip 2: keep in mind that you have to increase both logical parition and lvm flagged partition. Logical partitions are like containers for the lvm flagged partition.
- Increase LVM Physical device: pvresize /dev/sdX
- Increase LVM Logical Volume: lvextend -l+100%FREE /dev/mapper/XX
- Increase FileSystem: resize2fs /dev/mapper/XX